Homemade whole grain barley bread, made from the spent grains left over from home-brewed beer. I use my bread machine to make the dough, you could follow this recipe and knead by hand also. Recipe makes 2 large loaves.
- 1 1/4 cups 90 degree water
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups spent grains
- Measure ingredients into bread machine in the order listed.
- Set bread machine to dough cycle
- Remove from bread machine and punch down dough
- Divide into 2 loaves
- Place loaves on baking sheet
- Let dough rise for 1 hour
- Bake bread at 375 degrees, 35 to 45 minutes until knife comes out clean.
- Remove and place on cooling racks
- Beer can be substituted for the water.
- Bread flour not all purpose flour.
- Use spent grains wet, straight from mash tun.
- Let cool before cutting.